Florida Panhandle Homeowners: Got a Complaint Against Your Insurance Company?

As a Florida Panhandle homeowner, if you are having problems with your insurance company, it can be a very frustrating experience. Noble Public Adjusting Group can’t count the number of times we have gone up against big corporate insurance in defense of policyholders. But that is what we love to do. We thrive on the struggle, and like David battling Goliath, we win.

What To Do Before You File An Insurance Complaint

You have every right to file an official complaint with the Florida Insurance Commission if your insurance company is giving you grief. That’s what they are there for, to protect policyholders. However, there are a few steps you need to make sure you have taken before you do so. You need to have your I’s dotted and your T’s crossed. Below are the steps you need to take to make sure you are ready to take on big insurance:

  • The most important thing to remember is that your damage has to amount to, equal, or exceed the amount of your deductible. Some insurance companies require multiple estimates in order to qualify your damage as covered by your policy. So get your estimates. Make sure that the damage to your property would need a greater amount than your deductible in order to be fixed. That way, you’ll be able to argue your claim effectively with your insurance company.
  • Second, make sure your insurance policy covers your damage. Check carefully that you don’t have any exclusions that may prevent the damage to your Florida Panhandle home from being covered. Exclusions in your insurance policy can range from wind to natural disaster to water to flooding.
  • Always make sure you document any losses you receive at your home or commercial property in the Florida Panhandle. Even better, take videos, take photos, gather receipts. All of these actions create a case against your insurance company.

Filing a Complaint With the Florida Insurance Commission

If you have done all of the above and still feel like filing a formal complaint is your best recourse, then good for you! Big insurance should not be stepping on the little guy like they often do. As a rule of thumb, there are five reasons to contact the Florida Insurance Commissioner. The first one is the only one that really matters, and that is that your insurance company isn’t fulfilling the duties required of them. Your insurance company is hired by you to offer assurance. The contract between your insurance company not only binds you to a payment plan. It also binds your insurance company to a number of obligations including:

  1. Your home insurance company is required to act in good faith in handling your insurance claim.
  2. Home insurance companies have to thoroughly investigate claims made regarding damage to your property.
  3. Insurance companies must deny or pay a settlement within 90 days of filing your claim.
  4. If your insurance company denies your claim, you must be provided with a written explanation of the reasons your property damage claim was denied.

If you feel that any of these obligations have not been fulfilled, then you have a valid case against your insurance company. However, Noble Public Adjusting Group advises you to contact us before you file a complaint with the Florida Insurance Commission. We will be able to help you faster than they could ever think about doing. While they do work diligently to resolve cases, the Florida Insurance Commission is often overwhelmed with claims. The truth is, you could end up waiting several months to a few years before your insurance claim is resolved.

It is your right to file a complaint with the Florida Insurance Commission. That is a given. However, we can’t stress enough that by hiring Noble Public Adjusting Group, all the hassles involved will be eliminated. We will reopen the claim you are disputing and get you a great settlement without having to resort to such a drastic step. A formal complaint, though always an option, could keep you tied up for a very long time with tons of headaches and paperwork when Noble can resolve your issue pronto.

Noble Public Adjusting Group 
107 Amar Place Suite 103
Panama City Beach (West End), FL 32413
(850) 249-MY-PA



Subscribe to Noble's Blog

Get every new blog post delivered right to your inbox!